Sunday, April 18, 2010

Roses the Color of Sunset

There are those days where everything comes together, where one wakes up before the alarm and knows, just feels it in the tip of their toes, that it will be a good day.

today was one of those days.

I participated in Jewel Degree, or otherwise known as the final frontier of ADPi membership before becoming an alumna. It was my last chance to hear juicy secrets from generations past, and I was not disappointed in the slightest. Immediately following, I went to Founder's Day, which is a celebration of the founding of Alpha Delta Pi. Founded on May 15, 1851 by sixteen year old Wesleyan Women's College student Eugenia Tucker Fitzgerald, the Adelphean Society "had for its object the mental, moral, social, and domestic improvement of its members." Now, 159 years after the six founders united under an umbrella of sisterhood consisting of common goals, virtues, and desires, I stood proudly to receive my scholarship and senior recognition. Looking around at the spring dresses and sprightly shades of cardigans, I felt the bittersweet moment; ready to leave, not ready to go. I felt like an alumna.

Last night we had formal. It may have been raining, a small Waco Hurricane. It may have been at a venue that closely resembled a sheep farm. Laura and I may have got stuck in the mud, our heels sinking 3 inches deep the minute we stepped out of the car. We may have made the treacherous journey to the big white house and washed the cakes of mud off our formally-clad selves. We may have laughed. We may have had one of the best formals ever. And we may have had an adventure.

The night was not without casualties, however. Laura's usually pristine white car was transformed into a Dalmatian of mud. Following Founder's Day we went through the car wash. Settling in, I prepared to enjoy one of my favorite life pleasures. We put on Journey's 'Don't Stop Believing.' And there is where I felt it. There, in the car wash with one of my best friends, washing the mud off and listening to 80's power ballads, thinking about the symbolism of becoming an alumna and gracefully exiting something which has been such a monumental part of my past four years, I felt it. Like the car wash, the last events of senior are an opportunity to move forward. To realize that I am graduating in three weeks, and am off to start a brand new adventure. And that no matter what happens or where I go, no matter how much I screw up or not at all, there will always be a car wash to reset, refocus, and to realize that no matter what, the main lesson is to Don't Stop Believing.

My name was read, and I stood to receive my yellow-orange rose and senior gift. The presenter highlighted my college life in thirty seconds:I am an International Studies major, I excelled in these organizations, my future plan is to attend law school, my favorite sorority memory is all-nighters in the chapter room and cutting of the Creeds.

It wasn't until later, experiencing the car wash and Journey and everything in between, that I realized I was wrong. My favorite sorority memory changed to today. It will change again soon. It will constantly change, as will I.


Two days ago I bought cowboy boots.

Yet another defining factor of my identity. Add proud Texas [of four years] to the list. Add ADPi alumna to the list. Add college graduate to the list.

And let the list keep growing.

No comments: