Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Definition Updated.

They say BIC is worth the wait, and they are right. My favorite class in all undergrad is the BIC capstone, wherein we study coming of age novels from Harry Potter to Life of Pi. I've jokingly called this class group therapy, as we read novels and attempt to read between the lines. We write blog posts for every class period on a forum so that each student has access to each other's thoughts. Our very first blog post was to answer the question: Who Am I? Our final post was to answer that question again.

My first post:

"If inner thoughts could exhibit animal characteristics, mine would be that of a squirrel. I am addicted to diet coke and fear I may meet death by aspartame. I believe John Locke was correct in asserting that men are inherently good. I was choked on the playground in the fourth grade for being too bouncy. I am best friends with my parents. I like to leave encouraging notes around the house for them to find; a quick ‘good morning’ in the coffee beans is always a winner. I drive a car with a large hole in the top, and that is perfectly fine with me. I am most proud of my easy-going nature, though I am a true diplomat at heart. If I had to do it all over again, I would change my major, but not my minors. I am self-conscious at my lack of domesticity, think London is a beautiful yet lonely city, and want a freckle tattoo."

My final post:

"I am different than I expected to be.

Less naive, more confident, less judgmental, more cynical. The list goes on and I’m sure I could bore you with all my attributes and faults, but that is not the point. The point is that I am content. I do not believe it possible for people to truly see themselves clearly, as there are so many factors and layers that are not immediately evident on the surface level. I don’t profess to such things. However, I do think I have a decent grasp on my limitations, my interests, my emotions, my determination. I do not have a bad self image, nor do I think higher of myself than I should. I am happy with who I’ve become, and am ready to move forward. My experience at Baylor is ‘rearview,’ as my Dad likes to say. In fact, I must leave graduation early so that I can embark upon my newest life adventure. I am okay with this. Armed with textbook knowledge and valuable life lessons, I am glad to have experienced the Baylor culture. I am prepared to succeed and even better prepared to fail. I am guarded. I am a product of my upbringing and my education combined. I totter on the edge between extrovert and introvert. As with all of us, I am complicated, a conundrum, and cannot be summarized in mere words.

Most importantly, I am the best version of myself."

3 comments:

Reagan said...

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined!"- Thoreau

"Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you"- Emerson.

Sometimes, when you dont have the words yourself, you borrow someone elses.

Tonight I am borrowing some Trancendentalist thoughts and throwing them your way.

love you- and somehow- miss you already.

Caitlin said...

I don't want you to leave :(
But I'm excited for your new adventure in Michigan, it will just be really weird not seeing you next year. Monday at meeting was so strange after the seniors lefts, I can't imagine not seeing you guys every week.
However Jasper and I will read your blog and possibly come visit you, even if it is cold!

Sandy said...

You have made a difference, you are making a difference, and you will make a difference, Bouncy, Beautiful, Determined you.