Friday, March 20, 2009

Crayonberries



A random facts '25 things about me' craze has engulfed Facebook. Now, I'm very stubborn and tend to go against the grain on these matters, but I also am not sure I have 25 things about me that are deemed cool enough for the facebook crowd. I keep thinking of random facts and wondering, 'would I tell the world that fact?' Its interesting really. It takes a lot of courage to publish all those thoughts about yourself and trust mere acquaintances to read them.

My not so 25 things about me:
-I read the first half of a book. then I read the ending. then I go back and fill in the rest. please don't scoff at this.
-I had a slight breakdown about my future prospects today. I've had quite a few rejection letters lately (internships, scholarships, etc...)
-I really hope this trend doesn't continue into law school admissions letters.
-this is why I'm devoting my summer to LSAT, Ukraine, learning Russian for real,and community service- all for the sake of enjoyment.
-I like blackberries. The poignant burst of bittersweet is more than a bitesized fruit should be allowed to have. There is a certain simple joy in eating blackberries.
-I name most inanimate objects. They are all boys.
-I spent most of the semester being a blue crayon. For those of you not familiar with Baylor's All University SING, I'd be honored if you checked it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_wcG1Mlsmg

Cranberry Orange tea is the phantom tea of goodness. Or was the phantom tea. After months of searching for the best tea I've ever tasted (after discovering it in Oxford), I found it in an organic foods store in Flagstaff. The funny thing? I finally find the perfect tea right as summer rapidly approaches and optimal tea drinking time is on its way out. Why not enhance the heat by drinking hot tea? I say go ahead and drink. see what happens. Crayonberry tea, to be exact.

My last visit here left me nostalgic for European trains in Waco, serving free diet coke and biscuits. It also left me nostalgic for the summer that had just passed, the beauty of the British Isles, and the attitude of empowerment I secured while in Oxford. That feeling made it across the Atlantic and I've been carrying it around with me for most of the year, though I'm currently having some difficulties remembering where I misplaced it. The summer months are again fastly approaching, and though the calendar doesn't have a month marked out for study abroad (oh how I wish it would) it is nevertheless full of refreshment and great potential.

Why have I returned to this online portal? A few weeks ago a guest speaker visited my international law class. He is a young man, mid 20s, and has heavily been involved in high profile NGOs such as Invisible Children and Tom's shoes. After traveling throughout war torn Congo he created his own non profit, known as Falling Whistles. He was extremely engaging, extremely challenging, and managed to explain the conflict in Congo in such a helpful way as countless articles never have before. He also berrated my generation for being careless. Where is the passion? Where are the online blogs? Where are the questions? HOW are we letting such human rights abuses happen without any sign of uproar? Where, WHERE are the protests? I left class conviced, a little shocked, and passionate. After a brief stint with 30 degree meetings at the local hippie/chic coffeeshop for Baylor's own Falling Whistles chapter, I ackowledged the grassroots life isn't for me.

But, the idea of returning to this blog stuck around. So here I am again.

Ultimately, I've decided its time to once again be passionate out loud. With any luck my quest will have an outcome similar to that of the cranberry orange tea.


Or, I could always become a blackberry harvester. mmmhhmmmm.

2 comments:

Mary and Larry Smerk said...

Love the crayon picture! ...and I agree about facebook. You know only the people who are really interested (and stalkers) will read through an entire blog post. Welcome back!

Boo said...

Pick me some blackberries.
Don't worry friend, God has a plan for you that is going to involve all your dreams, and be even better than you can think of. Your potential boggles my mind, and your passion for justice won't go unused. =)
Someday let's go see Shopaholic!